Reuters Admits Beirut Damage Photo Was Doctored
Steven L.
2006-08-06 16:23:14 UTC
Reuters admits altering Beirut photo

Reuters withdraws photograph of Beirut after Air Force attack after US
blogs, photographers point out 'blatant evidence of manipulation.'

Photographer who sent altered image is same Reuters photographer behind
many of images from Qana, which have also been subject of suspicions for
being staged

Yaakov Lappin

A Reuters photograph of smoke rising from buildings in Beirut has been
withdrawn after coming under attack by American web logs. The blogs
accused Reuters of distorting the photograph to include more smoke and
damage.

The photograph
showed two very heavy plumes of black smoke billowing from buildings in
Beirut after an Air Force attack on the Lebanese capital. Reuters has
since withdrawn the photograph from its website, along a message
admitting that the image was distorted, and an apology to editors.

Reuters withdraws doctored image

In the message, Reuters said that "photo editing software was improperly
used on this image. A corrected version will immediately follow this
advisory. We are sorry for any inconvience."

Reuters' head of PR Moira Whittle said in response: "Reuters has
suspended a photographer until investigations are completed into changes
made to a photograph showing smoke billowing from buildings following an
air strike on Beirut. Reuters takes such matters extremely seriously as
it is strictly against company editorial policy to alter pictures."

"As soon as the allegation came to light, the photograph, filed on
Saturday 5 August, was removed from the file and a replacement, showing
the same scene, was sent. The explanation for the removal was the
improper use of photo-editing software," she added.

Earlier, Charles Johnson, of the Little Green Footballs blog , which has
exposed a previous attempt at fraud by a major American news
corporation, wrote : "This Reuters photograph shows blatant evidence of
manipulation. Notice the repeating patterns in the smoke; this is almost
certainly caused by using the Photoshop “clone” tool to add more smoke
to the image."

Johnson added: "Smoke simply does not contain repeating symmetrical
patterns like this, and you can see the repetition in both plumes of
smoke. There’s really no question about it."

A series of close ups are then posted on the blog, showing that "it’s
not only the plumes of smoke that were 'enhanced.' There are also cloned
buildings." The close ups do appear to show exact replicas of buildings
appearing next to one another in the photograph.

The Sports Shooter web forum , used by professional photographers, also
examined the photo, with many users concluding that the image has been
doctored.

"I'll second the cloned smoke...but it looks so obvious that I don't
know how the photographer could have gotten away with it," wrote one user.

After further research, Johnson posted a photograph he says is the
original image taken before distortions were made, showing much lighter
smoke rising.

Other blogs have also analyzed the photographs, and reached similar
conclusions, such as Left & Right , which states: "The photo has been
doctored, quite badly."

The author of the Ace of Spades blog wrote: "Even I can see the very
suspicious "clonings" of picture elements here. And I'm an idiot."

The Hot Air blog also looked at the photo, describing the image as "the
worst Photoshop I have ever seen."

Adnan Hajj, the photographer who sent the altered image, was also the
Reuters photographer behind many of the images from Qana – which have
also been the subject of suspicions for being staged.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3286966,00.html

[
OK, I'm going to say something with my usual blunt political incorrectness:

Just as in Iraq, with Western reporters often kept away from the
battlefronts either for their own safety or for security reasons, the
news services seem to be relying more and more on local photographers
all of whom have names like "Hajj" and "Abu" and "Mohammed." And locals
who live and work in the area may have their own political agenda. With
digital cameras and Photoshop, it becomes a lot easier to embellish or
even fake digital photos.

Right now, the blogs are the only ones performing an invaluable service
by vetting the photos. The news services are going to have to start
hiring their own Photoshop experts to vet the photos too.
]
--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: ***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-06 16:54:35 UTC
"Steven L." <***@earthlinkNOSPAM.net> wrote in alt.politics.bush:

[...right-wing hate blog site content copying deleted....]
Post by Steven L.
[
OK, I'm going to say something with my usual blunt political
Just as in Iraq, with Western reporters often kept away from the
battlefronts either for their own safety or for security reasons, the
news services seem to be relying more and more on local photographers
all of whom have names like "Hajj" and "Abu" and "Mohammed." And
locals who live and work in the area may have their own political
agenda. With digital cameras and Photoshop, it becomes a lot easier
to embellish or even fake digital photos.
Right now, the blogs are the only ones performing an invaluable
service by vetting the photos. The news services are going to have to
start hiring their own Photoshop experts to vet the photos too.
]
I have been requesting from you posters of right-wing, the-only-good-
Lebanese-is-a-dead-Lebanese hate the link from the REUTERS web site where
they have admitted that they used this photo and have acknowledged that it
is doctored.

The only reports we have that this photo has been doctored have come from
right-wing hate web sites with unapologetic, brazen biases.

Put up the link of the Reuters' admission or shut up!
--
For every 40 things you do,
it is human nature to blame you
praise you for them.
Independent_Voter
2006-08-06 17:06:02 UTC
Winston Smith, your "the-only-good-
Lebanese-is-a-dead-Lebanese" is an absolute insult to the Lebanese
people who like Israel have fallen victim to the Islamic Radical
Terrorists who refuse to leave their country and return to Syria and
Iran the 2 nations that support them. I think it's time you and your
kind begin to realise that NOT all arabs and Muslims are terrorists.
The Toad
2006-08-06 17:20:55 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
Winston Smith, your "the-only-good-
Lebanese-is-a-dead-Lebanese" is an absolute insult to the Lebanese
people who like Israel have fallen victim to the Islamic Radical
Terrorists who refuse to leave their country and return to Syria and
Iran the 2 nations that support them. I think it's time you and your
kind begin to realise that NOT all arabs and Muslims are terrorists.
Nor are all Lebanese Muslims. About 40% of the Lebanese are
Christians and some like the Druze are only nominally "Muslim"
in order avoid being slaughtered by their Muslim neighbors.

For many Lebanese, Hezbollah is nothing more than a bunch
of foreign financed gangsters preying on the state of
Lebanon.

Toad-Beneath-the-Harrow
"the liberals/democrats/ commies would not like Muslims nearly
so much if it were not for their terrorism."
Ann Coutler on CNBC Kudlow and Cramer
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-06 17:22:29 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
Winston Smith, your "the-only-good-
Lebanese-is-a-dead-Lebanese" is an absolute insult to the Lebanese
people who like Israel have fallen victim to the Islamic Radical
Terrorists who refuse to leave their country and return to Syria and
Iran the 2 nations that support them. I think it's time you and your
kind begin to realise that NOT all arabs and Muslims are terrorists.
Omigod!!

I think I am going to faint!

I am being told that I consider Arabs and Muslims terrorists!

Quick, where is a right winger?

=====

In all seriousness, I suggest you re-read my post, and re-read it very
slowly. I know you might think that the sentence is ungrammatical, but I
assure you that it is not.

Then get back to me with your impressions.

By the way, I have been trying to get these right-wing hatemongers to
authoritatively show where Reuters admitted that it doctored these photos.

The only sources accusing Reuters of this are:

1) a right-wing hate site (facetiously calling itself "freerepublic")
2) an proIsrael hate site (YNET)
3) the Jerusalem Post

All of these sources are willing to grasp at straws to find fault with the
photo in question.

None of them cite a story or link where Reuters makes these admissions or
corrections.

I have searched the Reuters site and can find nothing. If the NYT
reported it, it would establish credibility.
praise you for them.
Julian D.
2006-08-06 17:30:33 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
We're getting closer...Yahoo news has it up.

You're fighting a losing battle Winston. Just because Reuters has not
officialy admitted it, it's true the picture was a fake and pulled.
You're setting yourself up for an official Julian scoff/ridicule/boast
scolding, usually reserved to nutty Democrats after they lose
elections. It'll be a first for me to use it other than those times.

JD

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness,
of being together,"
-Cindy Sheehan Describing Her Meeting With President Bush

"I now know he?s sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said after their meeting.
"I know he?s sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he?s a man of faith."
-Cindy Sheehan Describing Her Meeting With President Bush

"We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."
-Hillary Clinton-2004

"Well as long as you bring it up, I think Cindy Sheehan is enjoying the celebrity status her son's
death afforded her too. Thanks for pointing that out--I'll correct it in the paperback edition."
-Ann Coulter
http://www.beliefnet.com/story/196/story_19646.html

Abnormal temperatures: Global Warming
2006-08-06 17:44:08 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060806/ids_photos_wl/r11192440
85.jpg
You're fighting a losing battle Winston. Just because Reuters has not
officialy admitted it, it's true the picture was a fake and pulled.
You're setting yourself up for an official Julian scoff/ridicule/boast
scolding, usually reserved to nutty Democrats after they lose
elections. It'll be a first for me to use it other than those times.
You moron!

You know the rules here!

You are being asked to cite credible proof of your claims. When YOU fail
to do that, YOU are the one who is ridiculed and scolded.

The only one who looks like a buffoon is you for wasting bandwidth and
having to show up here with a second post to support the claim you should
have supported in the FIRST post.
praise you for them.
Julian D.
2006-08-06 18:03:05 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
Settle down Winston. The story just broke today. There's time left
for Reuters to admit it on their website or ignore it altogether.

Bernard Spilman
2006-08-06 18:42:30 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
In the meantime you could post a link to the original article? You
know the one that is wrong, and that reuters will be apologizing for.
Can you post a link to THAT article? Probably not, because there
probably never even was such an article. Anyway, post it and you'll
make me look like a fool. (Remember, the article must be on a REUTERS
website, not yahoo, fox, newsmax, etc...).
WS
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-07 06:29:55 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
Reuters has reported it will no longer use any images submitted by a
Lebanese photographer whom it says doctored the image in question.

Note that this was posted by Reuters at:

Sun Aug 6, 2006 5:56pm ET

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=TopNews&storyID=2006-
08-06T215602Z_01_L06301298_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST-REUTERS.xml&WTmodLoc=Home-
C2-TopNews-TopNews-8

Certain facts emerge from all this.

It exposes many of the posters here and the bloggers of right-wing hate
web sites as liars, because they asserted that Reuters had:

1. doctored the image in question

2. had admitted to (doctoring and) distributing/releasing the image in
question

Neither 1 or 2 are true.

Reuters itself never doctored the image.

Reuters had not admitted or issued a correction at the time that the
posters here and the contributors and operators of right-wing hate web
sites said they did.

What is true is the Reuters received and used (distributed/released) an
image that it now considers to have been doctored by the photographer in
question, and altered in a way that goes beyond the bounds of mere
acceptable editing of an image typically to enhance color or contrast.

The on-the-record statement by Reuters in no way says that Reuters
(itself) doctored the image, but that they were a victim of a fraud by
this photojournalist (who will now have to find a new career).

Now since the posters here and those operating and/or contributing to
right-wing hate blog sites made those false statements above, and made
them knowingly with the knowledge that Reuters had not admitted or issued
a correction on the record, that makes them liars or fools, and probably
both.
praise you for them.
Julian D.
2006-08-07 22:21:55 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
Excuses, excuses, excuses. All most of us said that it was a doctored
photo, and provided a link to the original story as well as the
blogger little green footballs guy who exposed it.
Reuters allowed a doctored photo to be released.
Many believe they did not look that hard at the photo. It showed
massive destruction done by Israel and that was good enough for them.
Of course Reuters is in damage-control mode.
They'll be watched for further chicanery, I assure you. If their
incompetent photo editor can't pick out doctored photos, bloggers and
others will.

btw...I wonder if they fired their clown of a photo editor?

[...]

New Reuters Non-Fake Picture!
'Fear The Football'

No whining about the length of my sig.
They're just all too damn good to delete.
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-08 06:25:38 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
You have hung yourself right there: "All MOST of us said..." (emphasis
mine)

I am talking about the right-wing twits among you who actually said that
Reuters admitted to the doctoring, and they had even accused Reuters of
the doctoring.

These twits were WRONG and LYING on the fact that Reuters admitted it---
Reuters had issued NO statement whatsoever on the matter at the time----
and that Reuters itself had doctored it.
Post by Julian D.
photo, and provided a link to the original story as well as the
blogger little green footballs guy who exposed it.
Reuters allowed a doctored photo to be released.
Many believe they did not look that hard at the photo.
You probably don't realize the amount in the stream of information that
passes through a global news organization like AP, Reuters, UPI, and so
on. For them to do an investigation on every contention or part of a
remark would effectively mean that there could be no such thing as
journalism.
Post by Julian D.
It showed
massive destruction done by Israel and that was good enough for them.
Of course Reuters is in damage-control mode.
They'll be watched for further chicanery, I assure you. If their
incompetent photo editor can't pick out doctored photos, bloggers and
others will.
Fact checking comes on many levels. I am sure that right-wing
journalistic enterprises like Fox Noise note carefully when their errors
are pointed out to them, although unlike Reuters, they never issue a
statement of error or correction.
Post by Julian D.
btw...I wonder if they fired their clown of a photo editor?
If they did, I am sure he'd easily get work at Fox Noise or National
Review or Newsmax or the Weekly Standard. He might even get better pay.
praise you for them.
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-06 17:51:47 UTC
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
Some page on Yahoo has a "corrected" photo.

Where is the admission by Reuters that they issued/released/distributed a
doctored photo, and that the photographer has been suspended, and all this
other right-wing hate-motivated talk?

You and the other right wingers know better than to show up here with
typically outlandish claims not at all supported by credible evidence.

Why do you all insist on making asses of yourselves??
praise you for them.
Tolerating Intolerance
2006-08-06 18:03:53 UTC
Winston Smith, your hate, intolerance and name-calling does NOT
discredit those you disagree with and you have a problem accepting
facts when they do not support your beliefs. You should look up the
word "fascist" and then re-read your replies to those who have done
nothing but post articles that merely question the honesty of a news
agency with obvious faked photos.
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-06 18:17:22 UTC
Post by Tolerating Intolerance
Winston Smith, your hate, intolerance and name-calling does NOT
discredit those you disagree with and you have a problem accepting
facts when they do not support your beliefs. You should look up the
word "fascist" and then re-read your replies to those who have done
nothing but post articles that merely question the honesty of a news
agency with obvious faked photos.
Read this carefully and slowly:

It has been posted by individuals who hang out at KNOWN sites of right-
wing hate that Reuters ADMITTED that they had doctored an image----not
just distributed or released a doctored image, but had doctored it----and
these hatemongers have been requested to show credible proof of Reuters'
admission, which they have failed to show after many requests.

Instead they keep showing links to various KNOWN purveyors of right-wing
hate sites or sources with obvious biases and whose credibility is
instantly suspect and who continue repeating what seems to be an
outrageous lie that Reuters admitted to doctoring an image.

Now if you choose to ignore this fact, that makes you no better than the
right-wing hatemongers, doesn't it?

They said Reuters admitted it. How tough can it be to show proof of the
admission??

That the image you speak of being "obvious faked photos"---there is only
one in question, you idiot---pretty much reveals your close-minded bias
already.

And you further show yourself to be a hypocrite by denouncing my "name-
calling" and then calling me a 'fascist' in the next sentence. Get real.
praise you for them.
Tolerating Intolerance
2006-08-06 18:18:07 UTC
Winston Smith

The PASSION you are putting into this... you are MUCH too passionate in
the protecting of "middle of the road" Reuters...why such a passion?
Why do you resort to calling those who would question "morons"?

Your passion alone proves that REUTERS is not only NOT center but far
left in its political agenda and an agenda shared by you otherwise
there would not be such a passion.

Bernard Spilman
2006-08-06 18:45:57 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
Winston Smith
The PASSION you are putting into this... you are MUCH too passionate in
the protecting of "middle of the road" Reuters...why such a passion?
Why do you resort to calling those who would question "morons"?
Your passion alone proves that REUTERS is not only NOT center but far
left in its political agenda and an agenda shared by you otherwise
there would not be such a passion.
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060806/i/r3607862130.jpg?
No one has posted any evidence that Reuters did anything wrong.
Why don't you post ONE link to the original Reuters article and make
all the liberals look like fools? C'mon, just ONE link to the Reuters
website where we can find the original article.
WS
Winston Smith, American Patriot
2006-08-06 18:52:28 UTC
Post by Bernard Spilman
Post by Independent_Voter
Winston Smith
The PASSION you are putting into this... you are MUCH too passionate
in the protecting of "middle of the road" Reuters...why such a
passion? Why do you resort to calling those who would question
"morons"?
Your passion alone proves that REUTERS is not only NOT center but far
left in its political agenda and an agenda shared by you otherwise
there would not be such a passion.
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20060806/i/r3607862130.jpg?
No one has posted any evidence that Reuters did anything wrong.
Why don't you post ONE link to the original Reuters article and make
all the liberals look like fools? C'mon, just ONE link to the Reuters
website where we can find the original article.
Actually the fools have already made themselves known in this matter:
they are the right-wing hatemongers who make claims in their posts without
providing credible proof of them. And I am talking about those who have
claimed that Reuters admitted to having doctored an image. A rather
thorough jump from one page of Reuters' site to another shows NO SUCH
ADMISSION or STATEMENT OF CORRECTION.

The fact that these right-wing hatemongers have to show up here a second
time with the proof they should have provided in their first post does NOT
make those making the request for proof look like fools. The fools are
praise you for them.
Bert Hyman
2006-08-06 21:24:33 UTC
Post by Bernard Spilman
No one has posted any evidence that Reuters did anything wrong.
Why don't you post ONE link to the original Reuters article and make
all the liberals look like fools? C'mon, just ONE link to the Reuters
website where we can find the original article.
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L06301298.htm

"LONDON, Aug 6 (Reuters) - Reuters, the global news and information
agency, told a freelance Lebanese photographer on Sunday it would not
use any more of his pictures after he doctored an image of the aftermath
of an Israeli air strike on Beirut.

The photograph by Adnan Hajj, which was published on news Web sites on
Saturday, showed thick black smoke rising above buildings in the
Lebanese capital after an Israeli air raid in the war with the Shi'ite
Islamic group Hizbollah, now in its fourth week.

Reuters withdrew the doctored image on Sunday and replaced it with the
unaltered photograph after several news blogs said it had been
manipulated using Photoshop software to show more smoke."
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Bernard Spilman
2006-08-06 21:29:52 UTC
Post by Bert Hyman
Post by Bernard Spilman
[...]
I repeat:

"Why don't you post ONE link to the original Reuters article and make
all the liberals look like fools?"

You haven't posted any such link. Keep trying, associate liar.
WS
Bert Hyman
2006-08-06 21:32:15 UTC
Post by Bernard Spilman
Post by Bert Hyman
Post by Bernard Spilman
[...]
What, exactly, do you want?

There's a link to Reuter's Web site, explaining what happened and what
they did.

What's your beef now?
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Independent_Voter
2006-08-06 16:55:51 UTC
Just last week CNN admitted to broadcasting terrorist anti-jewish
propaganda, BBC flipped flopped and admitted that the "innocent
civilians" in Lebanon were not so innocent at all but were in fact
terrorists of the same group that went into Israel unprovoked and
despite UN resolution 1559 kidnapped the young israeli soldiers and
then began firing missiles into Israel.

And now ReuterGate

For the sake of truth in news I hope Fox News continues with their fair
and balanced approach to the news and does not follow the likes of CBC,
BBC, New York Times and Reuters.

http://michellemalkin.com/archives/005670.htm
Timo Makinen
2006-08-06 16:59:51 UTC
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters
there are dozens upon dozens by FOX News (The spin stats there)
Henry
2006-08-06 19:04:07 UTC
Post by Timo Makinen
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters
there are dozens upon dozens by FOX News (The spin stats there)
Yeah, but the Faux New clowns never recant their errors or admit mistakes.

Most of their glaring errors occur with clockwork precision on shows which
are more for entertainment than bonafide news reporting. The ones that make
up the bulk of Faux's popular programming like The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity's
show and so on.
TSowellFan
2006-08-06 19:06:46 UTC
The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity's show

I take it that you are claiming the Bush DUI story? After all, it was
Fox News that broke it.
Henry
2006-08-06 19:11:44 UTC
Post by TSowellFan
The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity's show
I take it that you are claiming the Bush DUI story? After all, it was
Fox News that broke it.
Sorry, responding with a single unassociated anecdote as proof of Fox's "Fair
& Balanced" approach to news coverage is not in play here. In fact, it's
ludicrious.

And which show was it that broke the DUI story? The O'Reilly Factor or
Hannity's show?
Tempest
2006-08-06 23:20:33 UTC
Post by TSowellFan
The O'Reilly Factor, Hannity's show
I take it that you are claiming the Bush DUI story? After all, it was
Fox News that broke it.
It wasn't Faux News, it was a local reporter for a Fox affiliated station.
--
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do,
because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Tempest
2006-08-06 23:18:36 UTC
Post by Henry
Post by Timo Makinen
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters
there are dozens upon dozens by FOX News (The spin stats there)
Yeah, but the Faux New clowns never recant their errors or admit mistakes.
As a matter of fact, they went to court and won a judgement that says
they can knowingly lie in their news shows.
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
jmcgill
2006-08-07 01:46:52 UTC
Post by Tempest
As a matter of fact, they went to court and won a judgement that says
they can knowingly lie in their news shows.
Is that the full, literal text of the judgement, or is that some
interpretation.
Timo Makinen
2006-08-06 16:59:58 UTC
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters
there are dozens upon dozens by FOX News (The spin starts there)
Independent_Voter
2006-08-06 17:08:45 UTC
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters...
There's a BIG difference between mistakes and manipulation
Tempest
2006-08-06 17:17:27 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters...
There's a BIG difference between mistakes and manipulation
And still no verifiable statement from Reuters that the photo was doctored.
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Henry
2006-08-06 19:05:19 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by Independent_Voter
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters...
There's a BIG difference between mistakes and manipulation
And still no verifiable statement from Reuters that the photo was doctored.
And it's even better that they admitted it. Something I'd never expect from
Faux News.
Tempest
2006-08-06 23:19:55 UTC
Post by Henry
Post by Tempest
Post by Independent_Voter
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters...
There's a BIG difference between mistakes and manipulation
And still no verifiable statement from Reuters that the photo was doctored.
And it's even better that they admitted it.
Where did Reuters' admit it?

Provide a link to their web site.
Post by Henry
Something I'd never expect from Faux News.
Faux News went to court and won a suit which allows them to knowingly
lie in their news shows.
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Henry
2006-08-06 23:29:55 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by Henry
And it's even better that they admitted it.
Where did Reuters' admit it?
Provide a link to their web site.
They retracted the picture. I saw it today at their website.

If you doubt me and you're really interested in seeing it. Do a search on
your own.

The fact that you don't believe me is not my concern.
Tempest
2006-08-06 23:52:30 UTC
Post by Henry
Post by Tempest
Post by Henry
And it's even better that they admitted it.
Where did Reuters' admit it?
Provide a link to their web site.
They retracted the picture. I saw it today at their website.
If you doubt me and you're really interested in seeing it. Do a search on
your own.
The fact that you don't believe me is not my concern.
The fact is, you claimed they admitted it before they posted the
admission on their web site.

Notice the time stamp of the article:
http://tinyurl.com/jh4e7
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Henry
2006-08-06 23:57:33 UTC
So, am I wrong?
Tempest
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Henry
I'm not losing sleep over it.
Dan Kimmel
2006-08-07 00:57:45 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by Henry
Post by Tempest
The fact is, you claimed they admitted it before they posted the
admission on their web site.
So, am I wrong?
Not in hindsight.
C'mon, be a man and admit you were wrong to post DOZENS of messages denying
the truth.
Henry
2006-08-07 01:22:39 UTC
Post by Dan Kimmel
Post by Tempest
Post by Henry
Post by Tempest
The fact is, you claimed they admitted it before they posted the
admission on their web site.
So, am I wrong?
Not in hindsight.
C'mon, be a man and admit you were wrong to post DOZENS of messages denying
the truth.
Well, A friend of mine met Mel Gibson back in 1984 when he was drinking 5
beers in the morning before he went to work at a movie. He was a crazy man,
busted by the Toronto cops for his first DWI back then.

I guess it wasn't a dream when it happened again 23 years later!

I've got to go. My crystal ball needs Windex. :)
Norma
2006-08-07 00:01:01 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by Henry
Post by Tempest
Post by Independent_Voter
For every one same mistake with CBC & BBC& New York Times & Reuters...
There's a BIG difference between mistakes and manipulation
And still no verifiable statement from Reuters that the photo was doctored.
And it's even better that they admitted it.
Where did Reuters' admit it?
Provide a link to their web site.
This is a repost from Bert Hyman on another group (I trust he will not mind
my sharing his information.):

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L06301298.htm

"Reuters drops freelance Lebanese photographer over image"

In case you're confused, alertnet is a Reuters Web site.

- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Dan Kimmel
2006-08-07 00:57:00 UTC
Post by Tempest
Post by Henry
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2006-08-06T215602Z_01_L06301298_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST-REUTERS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22
What's YOUR excuse?
lion shelscot
B***@msn.com
2006-08-06 17:24:11 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
Just last week CNN admitted to broadcasting terrorist anti-jewish
propaganda, BBC flipped flopped and admitted that the "innocent
civilians" in Lebanon were not so innocent at all but were in fact
terrorists of the same group that went into Israel unprovoked and
despite UN resolution 1559 kidnapped the young israeli soldiers and
then began firing missiles into Israel.
None of that happened. Either you or your sources are lying.

BP
Tempest
2006-08-06 17:24:33 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
Just last week CNN admitted to broadcasting terrorist anti-jewish
propaganda, BBC flipped flopped and admitted that the "innocent
civilians" in Lebanon were not so innocent at all but were in fact
terrorists of the same group that went into Israel unprovoked and
despite UN resolution 1559 kidnapped the young israeli soldiers and
then began firing missiles into Israel.
And now ReuterGate
For the sake of truth in news I hope Fox News continues with their fair
and balanced approach to the news and does not follow the likes of CBC,
BBC, New York Times and Reuters.
LOL!

Too fucking funny.

Fibbing It Up at Fox
www.lewrockwell.com/orig/steinreich8.html

Fox News lies about lying
www.neilturner.me.uk/2004/Jun/16/fox_news_lies_about_lying.html

The Real No Spin Zone
www.oreilly-sucks.com/

Fox News lies with statistics
www.boingboing.net/2004/05/21/fox_news_lies_with_s.html

A Pox on Fox: Latest Lies From Fox News
www.antiwar.com/orig/steinreich1.html

And don't forget, Faux successfully argued in court that they could
legally lie in their newscasts.
- Susan B. Anthony, 1896
Mr. Deltoid
2006-08-06 19:07:53 UTC
Post by Independent_Voter
Just last week CNN admitted to broadcasting terrorist anti-jewish
propaganda, BBC flipped flopped and admitted that the "innocent
civilians" in Lebanon were not so innocent at all but were in fact
terrorists of the same group that went into Israel unprovoked and
despite UN resolution 1559 kidnapped the young israeli soldiers and
then began firing missiles into Israel.
And don't forget the big lie about what Mel Gibson said in an inebriated rage
that was designed to make the Religious Right look bad.

Geese! Where do you invent these things?
Roedy Green
2006-08-06 17:29:37 UTC
On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 16:23:14 GMT, "Steven L."
Post by Steven L.
tool to add more smoke
to the image."
That bit of trivia done in the name of making the news more
entertaining is insignificant beside the reality of the damage.

Look at the hundreds of amateur photos if you want to see the reality.

You can find links at http://mindprod.com/politics/israel.html

You are such a puke Steven, simultaneously cheerleading for more
masturbatory dead baby porn for yourself, while making up feeble
excuse after feeble excuse to justify killing and torturing kids.

I just wish for even ten minutes you could experience the torments you
bring down on others.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green, http://mindprod.com
See links to the Lebanon photos that Google censored at
http://mindprod.com/politics/israel.html
Julian D.
2006-08-06 18:06:12 UTC
Post by Steven L.
tool to add more smoke
to the image."
That bit of trivia done in the name of making the news more
entertaining is insignificant beside the reality of the damage.
Look at the hundreds of amateur photos if you want to see the reality.
You can find links at http://mindprod.com/politics/israel.html
You are such a puke Steven, simultaneously cheerleading for more
masturbatory dead baby porn for yourself, while making up feeble
excuse after feeble excuse to justify killing and torturing kids.
I just wish for even ten minutes you could experience the torments you
bring down on others.
You have violent and evil thoughts Roedy.
God forgive you.

Joe S.
2006-08-06 17:07:06 UTC
[http://news.yahoo.com/photo/060805/ids_photos_ts/r3101797657.jpg] showed
[...]
Bullshit.

The "evidence" that the photos were doctored is "repeating symmetrical
patterns."

Uhhh -- excuse me, but ALL press photography these days is digital
photography. Obviously the clowns charging that the photos were doctored
don't understand digital photography which is nothing but repeating
symmetrical patterns. They're known as pixels.

More rightwing bullshit.
TUKA
2006-08-06 17:37:08 UTC
Post by Joe S.
Post by Steven L.
Reuters admits altering Beirut photo
Reuters withdraws photograph of Beirut after Air Force attack after US
blogs, photographers point out 'blatant evidence of manipulation.'
[snip]
Post by Joe S.
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
Just for the record, what you say is bullshit. You claimed the reports
that the images were altered were "rightwing bullshit".

Then when proof is posted, you ignore it and call it "rightwing bullshit".

That officially makes you "leftwing bullshit". Go sit in the corner with
your terrorist buddies and whine.
--
Making the simple complex, that is easy -- anyone can do that.
But to make the complex simple, awesomely simple, that is
true creativity. -- Charles Mingus
Julian D.
2006-08-06 18:05:18 UTC
Post by TUKA
Post by Joe S.
Post by Steven L.
[
[...]
He should go bowling with mellstrrr. She whines a lot. They can have
a whine-fest.

2006-08-06 17:48:15 UTC
Post by Joe S.
The "evidence" that the photos were doctored is "repeating symmetrical
patterns."
Uhhh -- excuse me, but ALL press photography these days is digital
photography. Obviously the clowns charging that the photos were
doctored don't understand digital photography which is nothing but
repeating symmetrical patterns. They're known as pixels.
Don't be stupid. Pixels with repeating values indicate manipulation.
More rightwing bullshit.
Ryd
2006-08-06 23:39:43 UTC
Post by Steven L.
Reuters admits altering Beirut photo
What about Katrina? Bush was LATE to send federal rescue efforts to
help!

Reuters makes a little mistake and everyone FORGETS that Bush killed
over a thousand Louisianans.

Ryda