BBC Biggie Laments Objective News Becoming "Offensive"
68hx.1808
2024-05-17 23:24:14 UTC
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13427743/BBC-boss-impartial-news-affront-audiences-balanced-coverage.html

A BBC boss has claimed impartial news that tells all sides
of a story is 'increasingly becoming an affront' to audiences.

Deborah Turness, chief executive of news and current affairs,
says those who spend time in an 'echo chamber' - where they
only hear and read views that align with their own beliefs -
feel balanced coverage is 'an attack on their values'.

Ms Turness, who joined the Corporation in September 2022,
added that she is deeply concerned about this issue.

Speaking at the Sir Harry Evans Investigative Journalism
Summit in London, she said: 'What worries me most is that
what we're seeing - and we're seeing it through Israel
and Gaza - is that we are at a stage now where subscription
culture meets algorithm.

'You've got so many people spending so much of their time-
consuming news which - because of algorithms or subscriptions
they've chosen – is channelling [their] echo chamber. It's
their point of view.

. . .

This has LONG been the case - albeit not to the DEGREE
modern tech allows.

I'm old enough to remember newspapers with "Liberal"
or "Conservative" printed in the banner.

Nobody wants to hear "Their" propaganda - so they
select 'friendly' news sources.

Alas, modern tech has made this TOO easy, TOO quick
and clean. The more it is done, the less and less
tolerant people become of "Their" viewpoints, it
becomes a disinformational pathology and can
forever cut off parties/factions from each other.
Each gets their own little universe, their own
little 'reality'.

Then all fall down go boom.
David LaRue
2024-05-18 02:14:17 UTC
Post by 68hx.1808
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13427743/BBC-boss-impartial-news
-affront-audiences-balanced-coverage.html
A BBC boss has claimed impartial news that tells all sides
of a story is 'increasingly becoming an affront' to audiences.
Hogwash. BBC and other publishers worried about such audiences don't need
them. Resl listeners, like myself, only go to balanced reporting sites where
we might learn something of both sides. I ignore reporting that worries
about offending a fringe audience. If your audience is not mature enough to
listen to both sides and perhaps some facts, why are you in the reporting
business?